What's the go with oil? How do you even use it? Is it right for me? We hit up Cynthia, the owner of Embrace FEC, to tell us all she knows on the topic of hair oil.
What are the benefits of using hair oil?
Hair oils have amazing benefits when used appropriately. To benefit from hair oils you need to know the different types of oils. There are moisturising oils and sealing oils. Moisturising oils are capable of penetrating the hair cuticle and entering the cortex to intern help moisturise your hair. Sealing oils tend to sit on top of your hair strands to coat the hair shaft.
Which oils do you recommend for different hair types?
Let's look at the major hair types, high porosity and low porosity hair:
- High porosity hair: this hair type allows moisture to easily pass in and out of hair strands, making it a very fragile hair type. Sealing oils are recommended for this hair type as your goal is to lock in the moisture. Choose an oil that creates a barrier to help with moisture retention as well as helping with adding shine and reducing the appearance of frizz.
- Examples of oils to use for High porosity hair:
*Grape seed oil
- Low porosity hair: this hair type does not allow moisture to be easily absorbed into the hair shaft. Moisturising oils are recommended as they are great at penetrating the hair cuticles into the cortex to help moisturise and nourish it. In other words, these oils are capable of a deeper absorption into the hair shaft.
- Examples of oils to use for this hair type:
How do you use oil in the LOC method?
The LOC method is a moisture retention method where you layer your hair with liquid (water), oil, and cream. The goal is to keep your hair moisturised for a longer period of time by slowing down the rate at which water evaporates from your hair. This method is most beneficial for low porosity hair.
Using oil for this method is pretty simple.
- Wash day: after shampooing, remove excess water from your hair (this is the liquid part), apply your favourite oil (Embrace FEC Hair & Body Oil), and then add your cream, leave-in conditioner (Embrace FEC Moisoturising Leave-In Conditioner) or natural butter.
- Rehydration day: spritz your hair with water, apply oil, follow with your favourite cream or leave–in and style as you please.
Are there any other ways you recommend using hair oil?
There are a few other ways you can use hair oils. Here are some:
- As a pre-poo treatment before shampooing. This helps with manageability of your hair, provides moisture to your hair and protects your hair from the shampooing process.
- To help with detangling your hair, by providing your hair with the slip it needs to gently remove knots and tangles.
- Hot oil treatments.
- To aid in scalp massages, which are amazing for stimulating hair growth and relieving tension.
- To help with sealing in moisture.
What should we be cautious of and how do you manage this?
Always try to prevent excessive build-up. This applies to all people, but is especially true if you're adding oil to your routine. Product build-up is a gradual accumulation or layering of products on your scalp and/or your hair strands. It's usually a mix of your natural hair oils, called sebum, dust from the environment, and the products you apply to your hair. I recommend you set up a wash schedule that is convenient and not too far apart, and choose a shampoo that is both cleansing and moisturising. If you use a lot of heavy products, its best to use a clarifying shampoo once a month. Remember, in order to have healthy hair, it's very important to have a healthy scalp that is clean, toned, stimulated and pliable.
**Visit the Embrace FEC website: www.embraceforeverycurl.com/
Did you miss our Instagram live event with Cynthia? Watch it now!
View this post on Instagram
This week Cynthia - owner of @EmbraceFEC - took over our Instagram to bring us a live lesson on using hair oil. She covered topics like which type of oil suits which hair, and how to use it. Thank you to everyone who joined us, as always, we loved hanging out with you! A very special thank you to Cynthia and @EmbraceFEC for sharing so much knowledge and giving us a hair tutorial at the same time! <3 Cynthia used the Embrace FEC Hair & Body Oil which you can buy from our website. If you missed it, you can tune in for this lesson via our IGTV whenever you like. #saintcurl . . . . #curls #texturedhair #naturalhair #kinkyhair #coilyhair #curlyhair #embracefec #hairoil #iso #isoactivities #livewithsaintcurl #curlcommunity #naturalhair #instadaily #teamnatural